Preventing Pet Poison

 

It’s important that pet owners educate themselves on many common household items that are toxic to pets. 

Your pet can ingest a potentially harmful or fatal pet poison very quickly, so keeping them out of your pet’s reach is the first step in preventing a potentially fatal accident.

 

Know what substances are poison for your pet:

For dogs:

  • Chocolate, particularly bakers and dark chocolate.
  • Xylitol, the sweetener used in sugarless gums and candies, as well as some medications.
  • NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen found in products like Advil and Aleve.
  • Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications.
  • Rodenticides (mouse poison).

For cats:

  • Lilies and all plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, Tiger and Asiatic lilies.
  • Household cleaners that are concentrated, such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners.
  • Flea and tick treatments that are created for use on dogs.
  • Antidepressants, such as Cymbalta and Effexor.

For a complete list of pet toxins, visit the Pet Poison Helpline at www.petpoisonhelpline.com

Pet owners should contact their veterinarian or a pet poison helpline immediately if they suspect their pets have ingested a potentially toxic item.