Most people are very busy nowadays. Whether that means you need to work or do other things, hiring a dog walker can help you. Not only will this help you to keep your dog happy, but will also help them to live a healthy life.
What is a Dog Walker?
Dog walkers are people that are hired to take dogs for a walk. Whether the owners are too busy to do so, or the owners have some type of injury, the dog walker will do this. Dog walkers also help people when they are working extended hours, or going out of town.
Dog walkers will need to be able to handle emergency health problems, or even sudden aggression in the dogs they walk. They must also be able to communicate with the owners and ensure the safety of the pets.
- Take multiple dogs on a walk at a specific time
- Follow all rules, leash or harness requirements as stated by the owner
- Ensure the safety of all dogs
- Communicate any strange behavior to the owners
- Picking up after the dogs, ensuring adequate food and water is available for the dogs
- Knowing which dogs play well together
Qualities to Look for in a Dog Walker
There are no formal education requirements to become a dog walker, but there are a few primary qualities that they should have:
- Loving dogs
- Being able to handle dogs on a walk
- Being capable of walking dogs competently
- Holding liability insurance
- Being responsible
- Being trustworthy
- Having good time management skills
- Great communication
- Knowing when to pick up the pet and how to arrange schedules
Who Should be a Dog Walker?
You will only want to hire a dog walker that loves spending time with dogs and spending time outside. You do not want to hire someone who is only walking dogs to obtain money and who does not care about the dogs.
The workday of a dog walker is all about walking. They should also be in good walking shape. They will move a lot and need to be able to carry water, food, treats, and take command of the dogs.
How to Find a Dog Walker
When you are looking to hire someone for Denver Dog Walking, you will need to put out an ad. You will want to include that you are looking for someone experienced and enthusiastic. You should also state that you want someone who loves dogs. If you have a specific breed, you may also want to mention this, and any difficult parts of taking care of your dog.
Additionally, you should explain what needs to be done in terms of pick up, and what you expect as far as communication. They will also need to know what you expect from them overall in taking care of your dog. You might request a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and a flexible schedule if this is important to you.
Requirements You May Want to Ask For
- High school diploma or GED
- Prior experience with dogs or in pet care overall
- Ability to walk and manage dogs of different sizes
- Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation
- Flexible schedule (do they need to work holidays, evenings, or weekends?)
- Dependable and trustworthy